Last year I committed on this little blog to attacking a certain project….remember this?
There are lots of tutorials out there for upholstered headboards so I’m not going to reinvent the wheel here, but after a bit of trial and error, I thought I’d share with you a few thoughts on the process of attaching nailhead trim to an upholstered headboard.
Eight years ago, way before I had ever heard of blogs, Mark and I made this headboard for our last house. We simply got a piece plywood from Lowes and trimmed it to the width of our king sized bed, then wrapped it with batting and a neutral coverlet I had found on clearance. A simple rectangular headboard.
It ended up taking me three attempts for the end result to look professional. What I learned:
If you are driving nails through lots of layers of fabric and batting, it is very difficult to make the nails all go in at the same angle, producing a wavy application. So – if you are attaching nailhead trim, minimize the layers it is going into.
I tried both loose nailheads attached individually, as well as a nailhead trim kit like this (in which you attach every fifth nail):
…and in both applications my end result was a wavy line, despite many attempts to straighten them out.
The strips of fabric underneath the nails give the headboard a nice finished touch. To make the corners square and attach the seams, I folded the top strip’s raw edge under and glued it with FabricTac to the side piece. I used a lot of glue and those corners are hard as a rock but you can’t tell at all.
It’s a comfy backdrop for reading in bed and except for getting the nailhead trim right, it was easy (and inexpensive) to execute!
I used the leftover fabric for that fixed bedskirt you see above and I’ll share that with you next week. Tomorrow I have another fabulous kitchen renovation for you and hope you’ll stop by!