– Martin Luther King
Basically sweet potatoes are peeled and then sliced very thinly, and trimmed so the slices will fit into muffin tin cups. The slices are layered in the muffin tin with shredded cheese. (I used the trimmings in the middle of each stack of slices.)
- 1 1/2 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used 2 very large potatoes)
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheese*
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- * I used a Mexican blend of shredded cheese because I had it on hand and it was delicious. The original recipe calls for either mozzarella or gruyere.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Layer half of sweet potatoes in muffin pan cups. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Top with remaining sweet potatoes until each muffin cup is a bit more than full (the stacks shrink when cooked).
- In microwave-safe measuring cup, mix half-and-half, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Microwave 1 minute. Pour cream mixture into muffin cups (about 1 Tbsp. per cup).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or thin spatula and transfer to a serving platter.
- Since the stacks do shrink a bit when cooking, so plan on approximately 2 per serving. I served these with pork tenderloin and a salad and they were enjoyed by all!
- The next morning – leftovers!!
Join Mangia Mondays by linking up or commenting with a recipe, restaurant review, or kitchen tip. Thank you for linking back to either Delightfully Dowling or Shine Your Light, and we’d love for you to share the fun by posting a button in your post.